Rona Lockdown Free Crafts Part 1: Wristables

If, unlike me, you aren't busy with a new boob barnacle* and a load of other kids, you might find yourself with time on your not-holding-a-baby hands and maybe you want to make something.  

Several crochet patterns I've made over the years have been lost in time, so I'll be posting them here over the next few weeks.  This pattern originally appeared on the now defunct web zine Crochet Me.  As usual, this pattern is free.  Free!  No strings attached!  You can make these mitts and sell them!  (Tell me all about it and share pics so I can feel cool!)  All I ask is that you don't steal the credit for the pattern or sell the pattern itself (feel free to share the pattern with your mates and print copies to give out, just include the url to my blog, please, and the wee copyright at the bottom).  Also, please feel free to add me on Ravelry.  (Wristables on Ravelry.)  

(Formatting shamelessly nicked from the original post at crochetme.com.)

And guys, I know we are living in weird times, but please remember:  it's not all doom and gloom.

Introduction


I've always had a thing for fingerless gloves and wrist warmers.  When I was a little kid, I always wanted to cut the fingertips off my gloves so I could be like Bob Cratchit from Dickens's A Christmas Carol, but my parents weren't into the hobo-Victorian aesthetic. Years later, I cut the fingers off the first pair of gloves I ever bought. It was a disaster and didn't look cool at all because I cut off most of the finger and not just the very tip.  I'd seen a lot of knitting patterns for wrist warmers, but I hadn't seen many crocheted ones so I thought I'd make these!
Although this pattern is done in Artesano Alpaca, it is easily adaptable to other yarns and is a great way to use up scrap yarns and one-skein impulse purchases.

Materials List

  • MC:  1 skein Inca Cloud Artesano Alpaca (100% Alpaca, 131 yds/120m per 50g skein): color #002 (brown), or approximately 131 yards/120m of any DK weight alpaca
  •  CC1 and CC2:  1/2 skein each of Inca Cloud Artesano Alpaca (100% Alpaca, 131 yds/120m per 50g skein): color #402 (olive green) and color #71 (burnt orange) or approximately 131 yards/120m of any DK weight alpaca or scrap yarn
  • US F/5 (3.75 mm) hook
  • Yarn needle

Finished Size

Wee Wristies: (will fit children and people with small hands, like me)
Normal Wristies: (will fit average-sized wrists)
Big Wristies: (for big people)
The pattern is written for Wee Wristies with changes for Normal Wristies and Big Wristies written in parentheses.

Gauge

19 sts x 24 rounds of sc = 4" (10 cm)

Notes

This pattern uses contemporary American crochet abbreviations.  If you are used to British, old-timey, or other abbreviations and can't figure out what I mean, either google it or leave a comment.
Fpdc = front post double crochet

The Pattern

The Wrist-bit

With MC, ch 26 (30, 34), sl st in first ch to form ring.  
Round 1.  Ch 2 (counts as first dc), dc in each st around, sl st in 2nd ch of ch-2 to close ring. (26 [30, 34] dc)
Round 2.  Ch 1 (counts as first sc), *fpdc around next dc of previous row, sc in next st,*  rep from * to * around, ending fpdc around last dc of previous row,  sl st in first ch to close ring.  
Round 3. With CC1, ch 1 (counts as first sc), *fpdc around post of next fpdc, sc in next st,*  rep from * to * around, ending fpdc around post of next fpdc,  sl st in first ch to close ring.
Round 4.  Repeat Round 3 in MC.  
Round 5.  Repeat Round 3 in CC2.  
Round 6.  Repeat Round 3 in CC1.  
Round 7.  Repeat Round 3 in CC2.  
Round 8.  Repeat Round 3 in MC.  
Round 9.  Repeat Round 3 in CC1.  
Rounds 10-11.  Repeat Round 3 in MC.  

The Thumb-Hole-bit

This section is worked flat instead of in the round.  
Row 1.  Ch 1 (counts as sc), turn, sc in each st to end.  Do not join in first ch.  
Repeat Row 1 until work measures 2.5" (3", 3") or desired length.  

Top O' the Mitt

Round 1: Sl st in first ch of row to join, ch 1, sc in each st around.
Repeat Round 1 for 4 (5, 6) more rounds, ending with sc in first ch, sl st in following stitch.  Fasten off.  

Finishing

Using a yarn needle, weave in all ends.  (Or not, if you want to look like a slob.  Who am I to tell you what to do?)

(c) Chloe Nightingale 2006

FIN.

Okay, can I just add a wee postscript here and talk about this year's Doctor Who series and how perfect Sacha Dhawan is as The Master?  They wrote him really well, too.  "Thumbs up," as my toddler would say.

*  Jan Andrea of sleepingbaby.net came up with 'boob barnacle' and it's so perfectly fitting. 
(I bought a sling from her way back in 2008 when I had my first baby and not only do I still use it, it still looks new!  Not everything is built to last these days, but her slings are.  My telling you about this is perfectly voluntary and this is not a paid promotion.)

Comments