One Thing at a Time


I probably got into minimalism around the time I became a slob reformist (hey, maybe that should have been what I named my blog!) and I think it was The Non-Consumer Advocate who used the phrase minimal-ish to describe minimalist aspirations in someone who doesn't want to pare down quite as much.  I can definitely relate!

So around that time, there weren't as many minimalist blogs floating around as there are now and a lot of the good ones from back then are gone.  I used to be a huge fan of The Everyday Minimalist/Fabulously Broke in the City (same lassie, different blogs) and read them religiously until she sold them on.*

Anyway, 8 or so years later, I am still on the mailing list for Joshua Becker's Becoming Minimalist.  A couple of weeks ago, I got one of his Weekend Reads emails and it had an article from zen habits called Focus as an Antidote for Wanting to do Everything and it really struck me.  Like the author, I want to do lots of things.  I have a big list of DIY things I need to do around the house, a big pile of laundry to put away, and a big pile of mending.  I cook almost all our food from scratch.  I sew, crochet, and knit.  I've got a lot on my plate and I don't mind at all, but that article was a great reminder that I will get more done if I just focus on one thing at a time.  Last weekend, it was making curtains.  This week, it's been finishing up old knitting, sewing, and crochet projects, as well as finishing some DIY bits and bobs around the house.  After that, more curtains and then I tackle the big pile of mending (I am too short for most trousers and long dresses and my rough and tumble kids need their clothes patched).

Are you a tackle-several-projects-at-once or a one-thing-at-a-time person?  What have you been working on lately?


* Read the older posts, they are great -- she has a great one on negotiating that I really appreciated where she says even if you can't negotiate for a higher salary, try to negotiate for more benefits or something else, like flex time, etc.  Ever since reading that, I've started negotiating for things and now I am a champ!

This is a message from my toddler, who climbed onto my chair and posted this while I was making a cuppa:
ppp99000000988yyyyyyyyggsÅ›============================================================================================

Totally off-topic:  My jasmine plant is blooming and smells amazing.

Comments